Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know if you can indicate in Proseries to make the partial asset disposition under Reg1.168(I)-8(d)? I've checked the IRC Election form and I don't see it listed.

SOPS
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You don't need a separate election.  You "elect" it by just reporting the partial disposition.

(B)Manner of making election. Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2)(iii) or (iv) of this section, a taxpayer must make the election specified in paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section by applying the provisions of this section for the taxable year in which the portion of an asset is disposed of by the taxpayer, by reporting the gain, loss, or other deduction on the taxpayer's timely filed, including extensions, original Federal tax return for that taxable year, and, if the asset is properly included in one of the asset classes 00.11 through 00.4 of Rev. Proc. 87-56, by classifying the replacement portion of such asset under the same asset class as the disposed portion of the asset in the taxable year in which the replacement portion is placed in service by the taxpayer. Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2)(iii) or (iv)(B) of this section or except as otherwise expressly provided by other guidance published in the Internal Revenue Bulletin (see § 601.601(d)(2) of this chapter), the election specified in paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section may not be made through the filing of an application for change in accounting method.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.168(i)-8#d

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You don't need a separate election.  You "elect" it by just reporting the partial disposition.

(B)Manner of making election. Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2)(iii) or (iv) of this section, a taxpayer must make the election specified in paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section by applying the provisions of this section for the taxable year in which the portion of an asset is disposed of by the taxpayer, by reporting the gain, loss, or other deduction on the taxpayer's timely filed, including extensions, original Federal tax return for that taxable year, and, if the asset is properly included in one of the asset classes 00.11 through 00.4 of Rev. Proc. 87-56, by classifying the replacement portion of such asset under the same asset class as the disposed portion of the asset in the taxable year in which the replacement portion is placed in service by the taxpayer. Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2)(iii) or (iv)(B) of this section or except as otherwise expressly provided by other guidance published in the Internal Revenue Bulletin (see § 601.601(d)(2) of this chapter), the election specified in paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section may not be made through the filing of an application for change in accounting method.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.168(i)-8#d

0 Cheers