Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea when the gross pension/ira line 4a of the 1040 will be fixed?

MAER356
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nothing to fix, its working as intended.  

When an IRA has the same amount for gross and taxable, then no amount appears on Line 4a only the taxable amount appears on Line 4b (this is no different than prior years when the amounts were on Line 15a /15b).  

But now when its combined with pension income together on one line, it looks odd,

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nothing to fix, its working as intended.  

When an IRA has the same amount for gross and taxable, then no amount appears on Line 4a only the taxable amount appears on Line 4b (this is no different than prior years when the amounts were on Line 15a /15b).  

But now when its combined with pension income together on one line, it looks odd,

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
I agree this is not working properly. I have 3 1099s and the total should be on line 4a as it was last year. It shows 1 of the 3.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
It can look a little screwy because the two lines that used to be there are now combined into one line, but the presentation does agree with the 1040 instructions.  Actually the whole 1040 looks screwy to me this year, but I never got a call from Washington to ask my opinion :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
@IRonMaN  I really wish they would have asked your opinion. I actually just posted a comment under you on another thread where i can see what everyone is saying. This is what i put there...Now i understand what the ones saying it is OK are basing that on. So I have  a pension 1099-R that is not all taxable and that full amount is on line 4a. I then have 2 1099-R forms that are IRA distributions and whole distribution is taxable so it would not need to be on line 4a. Thus the confusion and it does look weird. I would assume that since we have combined this line together we would look at the 1099s as a whole now and not separated by pension vs. IRA. I wonder how many letters we will get from IRS? Is there really a fix coming or is this viewed as correct?? Hmmm... I am actually on with tech support right now to see if they are viewing this as correct or a bug that is in for a fix.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
@lab  - It isn't a bug, it's just a case of learning how to use a postcard when we are all used to an actual 1040 form :smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
Yes @IRonMaN  This will not be “fixed” by Proseries. The 1040 instructions address Pension and IRAs separately. This is how it will work. Onward we go…..
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
kmjdad
Level 1

Not fixed! One of my IRA 1099's has a different amount in box 1 vs box 2a. It took the amount from box 1 to box 4b on the 1040. The tech person told me how to fool my software to make it work and then said he would forward it to the programmers. I had to go back and review my previously completed and submitted returns for the same problem. Luckily, only found one other one to fix. 

0 Cheers