Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any danger in having multiple years of ProSeries open at the same time on one computer?

PatP3005
Level 3

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any danger in working in more than one instance of ProSeries at once. I have 2019, 2020 and 2021 open at the same time, working with one taxpayer and flipping back and forth between years. Just curious?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

Only 'danger' is entering new info in the old year files - which can happen if the prior year file isn't locked.  I'm not sure when PS implemented that option.  Some folks have suggested have the prior year(s) color coded to something different from the current year.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Let us know if you find out the hard way.  I think it's one of those unknowns that is unknown.  My experience with having two years open is that both run much slower.  

PATAX
Level 15

A colleague said he runs multiple years at the same time using split screens and he said it's no problem.

ljr
Level 8

I always have current and prior open although prior year I keep off the screen and only click on it when I need to. I also use the option on the prior year return to change the color of the return. (Just incase I forget what I'm doing) I don't have any issues with speed or anything that affects either program. 

BobKamman
Level 15

I think the issue I have with speed, when multiple years are open at the same time, is when a return is being saved or closed.  But I also see slower speeds, the more returns I have in the current year's HomeBase, even when all but one is closed.  Then again, I'm not using the world's newest or fastest computer.  

0 Cheers