Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending

Good morning, 

A friend/client just dropped off her son's W-2 and wanted to know how to handle the fact that she inadvertently did his taxes last year for 2019 using 2018 data. Can I simply do 2020 now with correct data and amend for 2019 later, or will it not submit because of 2019? Of course, now the client is in a yank because of the recent stimulus package. 😉 

Happy Monday All!! 

Dawn 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15
6 Comments 6
Eddie903
Level 4

Yes you can do 20, why wait to amend 19? Fix it and forget it,

0 Cheers

Thank you, I was just wondering if it would be red-flagged somehow because of the nature of the error. But, I would definitely prefer to get 2020 out of the way and amend later.

Thank you for responding. 🙂

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

From the Urban Dictionary:

in a yank

In a hurry or in a rush, usually used when someone is late or when tempers are running high

Origin: Probably Midwestern United States

Calm down, we don't have to be in a yank to get out of here.

If you hadn't lost your keys, we wouldn't have been in such a yank to get to the party on time

I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with the recent stimulus package.  Did she inadvertently claim him as a dependent, also?  Or maybe he inadvertently claimed her?  Don't you hate it when your clients do things inadvertently.  

Oh yeah, this girl is as Midwestern as they come. And I have a pile of ridiculous sayings learned along the way to prove it, lol.

As far as the client, I think they conclude because of what happened in 2019 with Turbo Tax, the IRS won't use the information on file to send a stimulus payment.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Thank you for the very current link!

0 Cheers