Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMENDING 2021 1040

FREDW21901
Level 3

When trying to e-file amended 1040x, filing selection line says "Amended return not completed".

E-file electronically must be checked and it is. So is file Amended 1040x electronically box.

Noticed that the filing status boxes on Original Amount worksheet are all blank and says info comes from Info worksheet and won't let me fill in. The 1040-x form seems complete.

Return passes all final reviews.

E-filed CA amended OK.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
FREDW21901
Level 3

Also did not save it with F10 but went straight to e-file and saved it when requested and now the efile message showed "Amended Ready" for the first time so I filed and it went through to Intuit this far for now..

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
Camp1040
Level 10

Make sure you are amending the original return and not a save as copy of the return.

Check that the 2020 box is checked on the 1040-X , make all changes on the original return and not the 1040-X

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Efile it from the EFCenter, NOT from within the client return.  See if that helps at all.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
FREDW21901
Level 3

Looks like software has some serious issues in handling amended returns for TY 2021.

Client did not mark "Could be dependent" but should have. Also he erroneously enterer 1095-A amounts that should only appear on parents' return.

I reconstructed the client's e-filed tax return and saved a copy as xxxAS FILED.

Followed all steps:

1. Selected 2021 on 1040x, entered reason for amending

2. Checked "File 1040 electronically" as instructed.

3. Checked File Amended elect.

4. Checked 1040 filed elect.

5. Changed YES to Can be dependent and Was claimed

1040x shows payment due for difference.

1040 shows new refund amount as though filing it now.

6. Entered banking info and Checked Electronic Withdrawal of Amended return YES

Correct withdrawal amount same as due on 1040x displays in Balance Due and Amount to withdraw and needs date.

7. Entered date to withdraw for tax payment line

8. Entered date to withdraw for Amended return

9. Entered same amount to withdraw as above.

Rejected with following message:

"The amended tax return shows a zero balance due but the Info Worksheet shows a Balance due amount paid with this amended return. Be sure that the amount on Info Worksheet marches the amount due on the return."

Also tried filing from EF Home Base but then it tries to refile as original return and rejects as duplicate.

Crazy!

Any ideas?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Do not check file federal return electronically.

DO check file federal amended return electronically.

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

Not checking or unchecking "File 1040 electronically" displays message that File 1040 electronically must be checked as well as File Amended Electronically so that can't work.

Thanks. More ideas?

Fred

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Print the 1040-X form, then delete the 1040-X form, go back to home base and answer yes when asked to save, also uncheck the amendment boxes before you go back to homebase. It should not affect your state amendment.

Then start over

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

I've tried all of the suggestions 3 times, deleted and started from scratch  as previously described with same results:

E-file screen says "1040 Ready", 

"Federal Amended not complete"

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Review doesn't bring you to the error?

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

Passes all Final Review checks.

Note that the only changes to this return involve removing erroneously submitted Form 8962 Premium Tax credit on originally return filed by client and changing to "Can be claimed as dependent" .

Doing so removes the PTC penalty amount on 1040x and shows correct underpayment in Balance Due on 1040x.

Do you think any additional entries are required on 1040x or in Original Amounts worksheet?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Don't remove the form, I think that violates; the as originally filed protocol.

Enter zeros on the original form 8962 and the 1095-A since that is what generated the 8962 after you open the 1040-X and mark the correct year.

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

Had to remove 1095-A since changing to "can be claimed" caused a review error on SS number field on 1095-A.

Amazingly starting over for the 5th time worked and got it filed!  Here's how with comments:

1. Before opening any other forms, went straight to 1040x and checked "2021" which only caused only the original refund amount to be transferred to Section A of 1049x.

2. Marked "File Amended Federal" and "Original federal e-filed"

3. Changed "Claimed as Dependent" and "Was claimed" to YES

This time did NOT indicate WITHDRAWAL for amount due (will get bill presumably) since a previous attempt had a message "cannot do withdrawal when refund due" because the 1040 now shows a different overpayment...

Waiting to see if accepted by IRS!

None of this previously made sense and no suggestions helped, but thank you all for trying!

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

Also did not save it with F10 but went straight to e-file and saved it when requested and now the efile message showed "Amended Ready" for the first time so I filed and it went through to Intuit this far for now..

1970beep
Level 2

I am having the exact same problem. This is obviously a software glitch and should have been corrected. Proseries has really been going downhill and I believe I will be looking for new software next year. This is ridiculous.

Camp1040
Level 10

It's not a software glitch, the OP finally followed the amended directions to the letter and it worked!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive EF quite a few amended returns, I have had an issue with any of them....I dont understand whats makes people struggle with these so much.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PChin
Level 3

I am having the same problem with 2021.  2020 Amended went fine.  I can't get 2021 1040X to process.  If I uncheck "file federal return electronically", it gives me the error message that I can't file the amended electronically even though I have checked that the original return was filed electronically.

0 Cheers