Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMENDING 2018 RETURN JUST FILED. COLUMN A OF 1040X NOT POPULATING. WHY?

john3
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like you didn't do it in the ight order.  

You have to open the 1040X form, and type the year in the box at the top, then open the state amended form and mark that year in the top of the form, THEN go back and make any changes...that way the original info and the corrected info transfers to the amended forms.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like you didn't do it in the ight order.  

You have to open the 1040X form, and type the year in the box at the top, then open the state amended form and mark that year in the top of the form, THEN go back and make any changes...that way the original info and the corrected info transfers to the amended forms.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@john if it was a bunch of changes you made and you don't want to undo it all so the figures will flow automatically...you can just type the original figures into the boxes in Column A on the 1040X.

0 Cheers
I opened the file, opened the 1040X form.  Checked the box for the 2018 tax year, went to the state (UTAH) and marked the little box saying it was amended with the code.  When I went back the amounts of the original return did not flow to the first column.  So, I made the changes, the changes showed up (it was a credit change on a K-1).  The income and deductions section was all blank.  The tax liability section showed the changes but the first column was 0s.  What am I doing wrong?  I have done many amended returns and I have never had this problem.  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If all that changed was a tax credit from a K-1, that sounds correct.  

I had one kicked back to me as incomplete once when there were no changes showing in the income/deductions section though, so now Im paranoid and always fill in all the columns, even if they didn't change.

0 Cheers
Thank you.  Guess I will go in a take the time I don't have to enter all the original information before I make the changes.  Come on ProSeries....the amounts should flow over as soon as the 2018 tax year is checked.  They are right there in the 2018 program I am amending.  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If the figures don't change then it doesn't pull them over....if all that changed is that tax credit line, you should be able to file it as is without an issue.

0 Cheers