Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended returns

karzak
Level 3

How do you do an amended return for someone who filed before Mid March 2020?  Pro Series automatically updated the information.  However, an amended return needs to be filed for additional credits that are now available to them.  The changes will not calculate correctly because of the updated information.

for example:  taxpayer had unemployed that they were taxed on.  This increased their AGI and they had to pay back some the the ATC.  With the changes, they will not owe the ATC.  However, the updates to my original tax return already removed this information and shows a new refund amount.  How do I do an amended return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I havent fiddled around with any of these yet, but Im guessing you'll probably have to go in and do a reversing entry on the Other Income line to make the return match your original, then activate the 1040X, then go back and remove your reversing entry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
karzak
Level 3

Thanks.  I have been trying to do that, but I can't seem to get the info to work.  I will keep trying.  Maybe I will come up with something to share.

BobKamman
Level 15

What do you mean by "ATC" ?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
guessing APTC

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Well then, I'll guess ACTC.

And what IRS says is:

Taxpayers do not need to file an amended return if they:

• already filed a tax return and did not claim the unemployment exclusion; the IRS will determine the correct taxable amount of unemployment compensation and tax;
  • have an adjustment, because of the exclusion, that will result in an increase in any non-refundable or refundable credits reported on the original return; 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-readies-nearly-4-million-refunds-for-unemployment-compensation-over... 

0 Cheers
karzak
Level 3

Sorry.  Premium Tax Credit.

0 Cheers
karzak
Level 3

Taxpayer received a refund, minus the $1200 stimulus.  IRS says she did receive it.  However, they did not adjust her return for her unemployment or the premium tax credit.  (Return was filed 03/08/21).  Do you wait to see if they adjust it or do we now need to do an amended return.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Wait

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They havent adjusted for the UI or APTC because the return has been stuck in the math errors department for the RRC mismatch

BobKamman
Level 15

Sounds like a joint return -- have any of those been adjusted yet?  

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I have client - MFJ with unemployment  - that has received UE adjustment refund two weeks ago.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have one thats been buggin me for months about it, finally got the refund pending in their account for tomorrow!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS Newswire today, Issue IR-2021-159:

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service reported today that another 1.5 million taxpayers will receive refunds averaging more than $1,600 as it continues to adjust unemployment compensation from previously filed income tax returns....
The IRS started with the simplest tax returns and is now reviewing more complex returns. The average refund amount is higher for this round because the IRS included an adjustment to the Advance Premium Tax Credit (APTC).

karzak
Level 3

Thank you.  This is helpful, but I am still a little confused.  The taxpayer already got an adjusted return because of the stimulus.  Does this mean now they will go back to the same return and correct the unemployment and PTC?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Good question. Im using the wait and see method....when people come in for their 2021 filing, we'll look at what IRS did automatically and amend if more adjustments are needed, hopefully by 2022 they'll have whatever they're going to do completed on their end.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The manual review for recovery rebate credit is unrelated to the manual review for unemployment income adjustment.