Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended return

HOPE2
Level 8

I am hoping someone can help me.

First, I filed MFS for my client (2022) and his daughter student under 24, she already filed as single and she was not a dependent for the client's return.

Because of changing his status from MFS to HOH, E-filing is not working and waiting client back to the country by 3-4 weeks. For her daughter, now e-filing 1040-X is available as a dependent ( single independent to single as a dependent)

can I E-file for daughter for today (before the IRS begins shot down E-filing) and for paper file for the client by 3-4 weeks later, when he got home. I mean this gap does not make any problem to the IRS process's.

I already made a ASK in the other post but I think I mistakenly pushed Accepted Solution. Sorry

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Dusty2
Level 7

This should work and may be the only way it works.  If you are going to claim the student on the parents return you won't be able to e-file because the student already claimed the dependency.

Dusty

HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks @Dusty2If you are going to claim the student on the parents return you won't be able to e-file because the student already claimed the dependency.

I can not e-file because status of client getting changed not because the student already claimed the dependency. 

Let me know how about state return I think I can do it, just for federal can not, right?

0 Cheers
Dusty2
Level 7

@HOPE2Each state is different.  I know PA goes with the Federal so we paper file that one also.

Dusty