Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended return taxpayer instructions

GeorgeCPA
Level 3

I am amending a 2020 return with the 2020 package.  I followed the instructions and it all seems good to go for efile for both federal and NYS returns.  The problem is that the client instructions say that they will get a refund for federal for the amount of the original refund.  Then I can get it to say that the balance due on the amended return will be deducted.  The refund language is confusing and I don't want it to somehow refile the original.  I spent 30 minutes on hold for support and the guy just came back and said direct debit is not possible and hung up.  Any advice?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

I just use my own canned letter for amended returns.  It takes an extra minute or two to produce with each return, but it works for me.

Slava Ukraini!
GeorgeCPA
Level 3

Thanks, I agree.  I am just nervous that the program will re-file the original and generate problems.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

The amended return is a whole new file, and the program will efile whatever is is on the 1040 for that new file along with the 1040X.