Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended Mode vs return mode

ehill
Level 4

Have an amended return with Form 1116, IRS wants schedule b attached.  No matter how I try to do it, the amended return gets rejected.

The error says:

This reject is caused by incorrect PDF attachments. It looks like you have attached PDF attachments under both "Return" mode and "Amended" mode. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Open the return and do a "Save as" to rename the file, forcing full calculation of the return.
2. If the return is an amended return, reattach the PDF file under "amended" mode. If the return is not an amended return, reattach the PDF File under "Return" mode.
3. Save and re-transmit the return electronically.
If the reject continues, you may need to print and file this return by mail.

I did a save as on the original as a different name, then amended the original.  Everything seems correct but no matter what, I get a reject because of the attachment.  If I don't include the attachment then a reject because no attachment.

I do no see anything anywhere about "return mode" or "amended mode"?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Open the 1116B and save as a PDF, then go to EFile > Attach PDF and choose that file you just saved. Be sure to choose 1116 in the drop down list of attachment types, if you choose Other it will get kicked back again.

sorry, I didnt read the full text...I dont know why people have so many problems with amended EF returns, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4

Yes, this one is a problem.  Not had any problems in the past, but have not had to do a Form 1116 attachment before either.

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

We are aware of the issue and working on a fix.

For now, the workaround is using 'Save As' from the file menu to save the original return to a new file, and filing the Amended on the new return.

ehill
Level 4

That is how you have to do an amended return?  Or do you mean to use to orignal return that you saved as?

0 Cheers
CJ from Maine
Level 2

OK, in a nutshell, if you get the 1116 error for the attachment, the file name must be Form1116ScheduleB, and make all pages into 1 attachment.  Solves the issue every time😎

From the reject...

"If Form 1116, 'ForeignTaxCrCarrybackOrOverAmt' has a non-zero value, then a binary attachment with description 'Form1116ScheduleB' must be attached to 'ForeignTaxCrCarrybackOrOverAmt' and 'ForeignIncmSection951AInd' must not be checked."

0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4

OK, will give that a try.  Did not have that specific name as the file name.

Just efiled again, so now wait and see.

0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4

Well that did not work either, rejected with the same error message as before.

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

Yes, open the original return from ProSeries, select File, Save As, put in a new name for the new return. Save it. Mark the new return as Amended, and attach the PDF as type *1116*. Efile the new return as Amended when you are done.

ehill
Level 4

Tried a couple of ways.  Both original and saved as return.  Saved as return would not efile because it said the original return was not completed (think it mean efiled and accepted).  Tried on the original again, put everything back to the beginning and amended again.  Same result.

I am giving up and having client come in to sign or paper filing the amended return.

0 Cheers