Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocation of Annuity income for a part year resident of NY

lbones
Level 5

I am preparing taxes for a married couple.  The taxpayer is a full year resident of NY.  His income is Social Security as well as annuity income from GE.  His wife is a part year resident of NY, having moved to Florida (full time) in the beginning of March.  She also receives Social Security and a pension from GE.  Her 1099R shows the reduced state distribution in box 16 from what is shown in box 1.

When I go into the NYS return, it shows the full pension amount shown in box 1 instead of what is shown in box 16.  My thought was that the full amount should not transfer over to NYS, only the smaller state distribution shown in box 16.  Am I incorrect?

I can't allocate (or I don't see how I can allocate) since only one is a part year resident.

I could and should (I believe) file NYS as Married Separate but the program still transfers the spouses full income over to the taxpayer.  What is the proper way to handle this scenario?  

0 Cheers