Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocating income to beneficiaries

doubleg10
Level 3

There are four beneficiaries sharing equally in the income of the estate.  There is interest income, dividend income and capital gain income.  All income is to be distributed to the beneficiaries. I have input the beneficiary's percentage on line B.1 of the "Beneficiary's Allocation Smart Worksheet" for each beneficiary but yet the program does not automatically allocate any income to the beneficiaries.  The program is still allocating all income to the estate.

I have double-checked my input but obviously, I am still missing something.  Thank you to all who respond.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Did you try my suggestion,?

If you didn't try it yet, you should before you waste any precious time on the phone with Intuit.

That is what worked for me to pull the ACTUAL DISTRIBUTIONS over to the page 2 of the 1041, and get the entire income to show as the income distribution deduction on schedule B.

You have to use part A on the K-1 input if you want to put in the actual amount of distributions to each beneficiary, And if you read line A 2 carefully it says "OTHER AMOUNTS PAID, CREDITED OR ......."

I am not sure what the instructions say, but if I try it and it gets the form completed the way I know it should be, I just run with it and move on.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
sjrcpa
Level 15

Capital gain is usually not income to allocate to beneficiaries. Do the expenses exceed the interest and dividend income?

Look at page 2 of the 1041 for the distribution deduction calculation.

Ex-AllStar
doubleg10
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

The expenses are not more than the income and this is the initial and final tax return as the decedent passed away in early 2023 and it took 10 months for the estate to be finalized and distributed.  It is my understanding that capital gains are distributed in the final year.

The total income is $12k.  Page 2 of 1041 for line 9 is zero and zero for line 10.  The link for lines 9 and 10 go to the K-1 worksheets where the beneficiary percentage is listed as 25%.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

On the beneficiaries k1 input page just above where you input the percentages, did you enter the amount of distributions for each beneficiary on line A-2?

I think that is how I did it and it carried to page 2 line 10 of the 1041.

(4 hours later) I just remembered - Also on the schedule D input scroll all the way down to part III,

there on line 18a you can input how much of the capital gain to allocate to beneficiaries, rather than the trust. Took me a while to find that part when I got hung up on it a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully the above gets you where you are trying to go.

sjrcpa
Level 15

OK, in a final return everything does get distributed. You forgot to mention it was a final return in the OP.

I don't use ProSeries so I can't say what you are doing wrong.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you mark the return as Final on the front page of the 1041?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
doubleg10
Level 3

Thank you SJRCPA.  Yes, I apologize for that omission.  I need to do a better job with the original post.

doubleg10
Level 3

Hi Lisa:

Yes, the Final return box is checked.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
doubleg10
Level 3

Hi jeffmcpa2010:

Per the "Beneficiary's Allocation Smart Worksheet" on the beneficiaries K-1 input page, the program allows you to choose between A - entering the beneficiary's dollar amount of income to be distributed currently OR (emphasis mine) B enter the beneficiary's percentage of income distribution deduction.  In prior years, the "OR" worked.  It would take the beneficiary's percentage and allocate it to that particular beneficiary automatically.  Has the program changed?  I can't see why the program would make the preparer manually calculate the dollar amount for each beneficiary to input the amount.

I believe I need to talk to a programmer.

doubleg10

double g 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive always used the percentage, it an either/or situation.  The only time that stumbles is when youve got an odd number of benes and you percentages dont equal 100%...no Im not doing the freaking math to divide 1% between 9 benes!   Im splitting the 1 % between the ones with the largest % or giving it to the trustee if theyre a bene.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Did you try my suggestion,?

If you didn't try it yet, you should before you waste any precious time on the phone with Intuit.

That is what worked for me to pull the ACTUAL DISTRIBUTIONS over to the page 2 of the 1041, and get the entire income to show as the income distribution deduction on schedule B.

You have to use part A on the K-1 input if you want to put in the actual amount of distributions to each beneficiary, And if you read line A 2 carefully it says "OTHER AMOUNTS PAID, CREDITED OR ......."

I am not sure what the instructions say, but if I try it and it gets the form completed the way I know it should be, I just run with it and move on.

doubleg10
Level 3

Thank you jeffmcpa2010.  Yes.  The key for me was Schedule B, line 9.  I was getting hung up on too much focus on the K-1 worksheets.

Thanks to the entire community and tech support.

doubleg10