Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony received where to enter?

I want to talk for assistant
0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

so, a fellow preparer who has done that time and again is no good? It must be an assistant?

abctax55
Level 15

Then you'll need to pick up the phone & call support.  We aren't support, we are fellow software users.

The few Intuit employees that occasionally stop by aren't likely to call you based on a data entry question posted here. 

Consider the date of the divorce, the alimony might be irrelevant. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

You might get an answer here if you ask a complete question and do it nicely and only ask once. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/got-divorce-year-2005-w...

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

no where if you read the tax code.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Laura,

That's not necessarily correct. It depends on when the divorce was finalized and whether the alimony was modified after that.

EDIT: It's IRC Section 71, repealed

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Gosh Laura, I hope none of your clients pay/receive alimony from divorces finalized a few years ago.

( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

abc  I know the rules but, I don't read into the post what is not stated.  Poster did not give date of divorce and should research the question if they want a detailed response.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"no where" is a blanket statement that alimony isn't considered on a tax return.  Period.

No reference to 'read the code to see if the date of the divorce might have some bearing on the question.

( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

abc  alot of these SOP question posters make me wonder where or even whether they got any training before starting to prepare taxes. I am not in the habit of enabling those who seem to have a problem with the basics.

0 Cheers