Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a User to account

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres an EA in town that's retiring. He uses ProSeries as well. He's referring about 50 clients to me, as well as his own return and his family, but he wants to prepare his and the family returns, and let me EF them as a non paid preparer.

He wont be buying PS for 2022, so he'll need to use my software, do I create a User Account for him?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
JRC
Level 8

You should be able to add an additional User.

An additional preparer can be used if he is preparing the returns.

You would be the ERO of all the returns.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Thanks!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Since Im just a single preparer office and have never added a User, when I add them, does that give them their own login and password?   

He's NOT very technologically  savvy (one of the reasons hes retiring, its all just gotten too much for him) so chances are, Im going to have to do it all and just give him the log in and password.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

His own login email and password will work by adding him to your account.

George4Tacks
Level 15

"He" would be the non-paid preparer. If he is paid to do any returns, I think he may need to sign as a paid preparer and possibly would need to renew his PTIN. You will also need to add him as a preparer. https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/partnership/adding-editing-preparer-informa...

Review https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/data-security/managing-access-rights-proser... for what "rights" to give this user. 

You will be the ERO, either paid or unpaid 🤔

Just as you do with office & home, you could find a way to transfer files between each other. "He" could 

If there is a "sale" of clients you both will need Form 8594.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im going to kick him a referral fee for any of his clients that I pick up as new clients...is that the same as a "sale"?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Maybe?

I would be inclined to say yes, since the penalties for not filing the form could be significant.

Even a verbal contract is a contract, although it may not be worth the paper it is written on.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns