Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounting

MGC94
Level 7

My mommom owned an accounting firm. She just passed away last week. As I am preparing for this tax season can you help me along the way? 

I tried applying for PTIN number. They want a business name and address. I would like to keep everything the same. How do I go about putting in from her name into my name? Her wish would be for me not to waste money/time with a lawyer even though that is an option. 

How do I get a CAF number? 

What other things should I get?

Thank you for your time. Please take it easy with the comments as I am sad enough.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm sorry for your loss.

What type of legal entity is the accounting firm?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry to hear about your mom. It has to be tough for you to take over the operation of her practice.

I think your biggest concern at this point would be to get your EFIN situated due to the lengthy process involved in that.

Slava Ukraini!
MGC94
Level 7

It was under her SS# the bank said. I am assuming a sole proprietor under ss#?  

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Do I have to have a business set up for the EFIN #? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like a sole proprietorship.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

It has to be under some name.

So "Conway Tax", or whatever you're going to call the business now. I suppose you could use the old name, unless it was the deceased's actual name. That might be deemed to be misleading.

Didn't her business already have an EFIN? Perhaps you could use it by telling IRS you are the new owner.

Ex-AllStar
MGC94
Level 7

I have the same last name as my mommom. I can call and see if I can use her EFIN. Do you know the best number to call? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
PATAX
Level 15

I would imagine there are others who are reading this who encountered similar situation in near past. If so, would you please help conwaytax6769?