Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA registration without consent

Eddie903
Level 4

I have a client, keeping in mind this is his side of things, who states that he started to apply for ACA insurance.  He states he got a quote and then received an email stating he had to make a payment or he wouldn't have coverage.  He did show me the email, and says he never made a payment, yet he received a 1095A this year. This guy works oilfield which supplies insurance so he had no need for the ACA insurance, but now they are charging him close to $4000 of it back.  I advised him to check and make sure it wasn't a mistake, and after speaking to someone, he says they told him "The government made the payment for you." I don't understand how he can have insurance for over a year and make zero payments and never have it canceled or any bills sent out.  Is there anywhere to report this? Is there any other advise in regards to this situation. 

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
happens often, they think theyre signing up for a quote and get coverage, it doesnt cancel automatically for nonpayment, he needed to cancel it himself.

Expensive lesson.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

He likely included the option for Advance Premium payments to go to the insurer he selected. He would have gotten mailings, such as ID card(s) and emails, but he could have ignored them.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.