Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA Excess Advance Premium Credit Repayment - Sale of Business Assets

midwesttaxinc
Level 2

Client and husband operated a Schedule C business until July 2019. Both turned 65 in 2019 and went on Medicare, but had ACA exchange policy with premium credits calculated for part of the year. When business assets were sold and business closed in 2019, no adjustments to income were made for the health insurance premium. Now with return completed, there is a substantial premium credit repayment. Taxpayers were advised that there is a "work around" because the sale of business property was a "one time deal" OR that there is an option for requesting a recalculation by IRS. I have found zero evidence of either of these options - but maybe someone else knows more than I do about that.

Any suggestions anyone?

THANKS!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As George mentioned, there is not an exception for repaying the Advance Premium Tax Credit.

1. The first thing to try is to see if contributing to retirement accounts would lower income below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (which will limit the amount of the repayment).
  2. If that doesn't work, see if filing as Married Filing Separately will help anything (it may lower one or both spouses to under 400%).
  3. If that doesn't work, try combining #1 and #2.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
George4Tacks
Level 15
There is an appeal for the higher medicare premium for a life changing event. That may be what the client is confusing with the repayment that they are experiencing.
https://www.hhs.gov/about/agencies/omha/the-appeals-process/part-b-premium-appeals/index.html

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As George mentioned, there is not an exception for repaying the Advance Premium Tax Credit.

1. The first thing to try is to see if contributing to retirement accounts would lower income below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (which will limit the amount of the repayment).
  2. If that doesn't work, see if filing as Married Filing Separately will help anything (it may lower one or both spouses to under 400%).
  3. If that doesn't work, try combining #1 and #2.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Taxpayers were advised that there is a "work around" because the sale of business property was a "one time deal" OR that there is an option for requesting a recalculation by IRS."

This Advisor is confusing IRMAA and ACA. Which means that person should not be listened to for anything, because that is a basic understanding you should have before giving anyone advice. And whoever helped them submit for the Credit obviously did not guide them for ACA "life changing events" follow up.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@George4Tacks wrote:
There is an appeal for the higher medicare premium for a life changing event. That may be what the client is confusing with the repayment that they are experiencing.
https://www.hhs.gov/about/agencies/omha/the-appeals-process/part-b-premium-appeals/index.html

Ive had 2 different clients try to appeal this medicare increase that happened due to selling a rental property and both failed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

I tried it once and failed. Client sold his home in Northern VA where he had lived for over 50 years. There was a very large taxable capital gain, a once in a lifetime event.. No dice.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oooh, interesting. The local Aging Services office told me that a person making a taxable IRA conversion to Roth should easily be able to submit for forgiveness if that puts them into IRMAA.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I was successful when I sold my practice and went onto SS/Medicare that year. Like many things, it can depend on how it presented and who reads the story. I was honestly very surprised that my story was a prize winner.

midwesttaxinc
Level 2

Yep, same here. Mine failed as well, but as I told the clients, it all depends on which person gets your paperwork and how they are feeling that day. Sometimes, it just is what it is and there is no fixing the problem AFTER the fact. 😉

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

In regards to the Medicare adjustment, selling a house is NOT one of the situations that qualify for it.  Sure, it is possible you could get someone to process it incorrectly, but a large increase of income is NOT a qualifying event.   A loss of job income (selling the practice for George) is a qualifying event.  

From the link above:

There are 7 qualifying life-changing events:

• Death of spouse
  • Marriage
  • Divorce or annulment
  • Work reduction
  • Work stoppage
  • Loss of income from income producing property
  • Loss or reduction of certain kinds of pension income

sjrcpa
Level 15

No wonder it didn't work. 😮 This was years ago. I don't even know if that list existed then.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think I convinced them that selling my primary business and retiring was a Work Reduction and a Work Stoppage and a Loss of income from income producing property.
This is how I made up for my first try at freshman English in college. The one paper I should have kept came back this comment by the professor "Vast improvement over last effort. D-" Yes, I got an F in that class. 

0 Cheers