Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A TP died in 2020 and 1099-int was reported on MFJ w/spouse.In 2021 the int inc was reported on 1099-int in deceased ss. Can surviving SP claim on her tax return in 2021?

SKC2021
Level 3
Does this need to be corrected by the bank or can surviving spouse claim even though it is in deceased social security number
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

I would pick it up on the 2021 tax return of the surviving spouse. Next to the name of the bank put in "deceased spouse" and the social security number of the deceased spouse. Have the spouse contact the bank to correct it for 2022. You cannot file an income tax return in 2021 for the spouse who died in 2020. Just my opinion.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

I would pick it up on the 2021 tax return of the surviving spouse. Next to the name of the bank put in "deceased spouse" and the social security number of the deceased spouse. Have the spouse contact the bank to correct it for 2022. You cannot file an income tax return in 2021 for the spouse who died in 2020. Just my opinion.

SKC2021
Level 3

Thank you! That is the only way I know too.

PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome

0 Cheers