Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

99%-1% Partnership ended

Greta
Level 9

Father and son had 1%-99% partnership. Father dropped out. But son continued with the (hefty) business. He didn't change the PTR organization, and I had a lot of depreciation & info already entered on Form 1065. So to keep the software working, since the year was already over, I gave son two K-1s, for 99% and 1%. Should I force him to turn it into an S-corporation or Sch C in the future?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Can you explain how the Father "Dropped out"?

Was there some kind of legal document transferring his ownership % to the son? (Gift, Sale, etc.) or just quit working in the business.

If so when was it dated. Unless the transfer happened in 2020, the Father would (Probably ) been a partner for a portion of 2021, and may need to receive a K-1 for his ownership percentage for the portion of the year he was an owner.

If there was a transfer, and it happened during 2021, the Partnership may have terminated on that date, and become a Proprietorship at that date.

If any on those happened, I am not sure the way you are planning to handle it would be correct.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Can you explain how the Father "Dropped out"?

Was there some kind of legal document transferring his ownership % to the son? (Gift, Sale, etc.) or just quit working in the business.

If so when was it dated. Unless the transfer happened in 2020, the Father would (Probably ) been a partner for a portion of 2021, and may need to receive a K-1 for his ownership percentage for the portion of the year he was an owner.

If there was a transfer, and it happened during 2021, the Partnership may have terminated on that date, and become a Proprietorship at that date.

If any on those happened, I am not sure the way you are planning to handle it would be correct.