Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8915-F error

ykbce
Level 3

Working with the Form 8915-F the only problem I am having with it is on line C where it is asking for a FEMA number.  Instructions say to leave blank if for covid.  Anyone else having this error and is there a solution.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
24 Comments 24
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You dont enter anything on the 8915F itself. Open the 8915E and enter the total distributions showing on the 2020 8915E from last years return in the smart worksheets and the program will do the rest of the work.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

The form is prepared but not showing in forms in use and not printing with return.  I am concerned that it won't be e-filed when transmitted. Please advise?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It will be included, if you want it to print with your returns, you'll need to change it in the Global Print Options >Control Which Forms Print the very bottom folder in that list is Other, the 8915F for both TP and SP are in there, you'll need to dig for them, theyve got them split apart in 2 different places in the list of forms. Change them to print "If Any Data"

0 Cheers
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

Thanks Lisa...that's what i did and now prints.  Still doesn't show in forms in use.  Hope it is included with the electronic filing.  Doesn't seem to be a way to check that it will.

0 Cheers
ykbce
Level 3

On the 8915-E worksheet the error is appearing under part 1 column B smart worksheet where it is asking for a Fema Disaster Number.  8915E.JPG

sdorwartcpa
Level 2

Complete the Smart worksheet "2020 Form 8915-E Distribution Smart Worksheet" towards top of Part I

0 Cheers
ykbce
Level 3

I did that and still have the error.

0 Cheers
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

Check box B that says "Coronavirus-related"? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
it will be attached as a PDF in the background, as long as the amount appears on lines 4b/5b youre good to go.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@ykbce   Are you trying to allow a 2021 distribution to qualify as a Covid distribution? that cant be done.  It had to be a 2020 distribution.

Have you filled in this top part of the 8915E?

89152020covid.png

0 Cheers
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

I am not following. Nothing appears in 4b/5b...only line 14.  Repayment of 1/3 of 2020 distribution.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Repayment of 1/3 of 2020 distribution."

Repayment? Or, Reporting of income?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

Repayment of 1/3 of 2020 distribution

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

For a repayment, you won't be using 8915-F.

Separate this by Disaster Year and Tax Year.

Tax Year 2020 for Disaster Year 2020, use Form 8915-E. For Tax Year 2021 and later, for Disaster Years 2020 and later, use Form 8915-F.

"If, for example, you receive a coronavirus-related distribution in 2020, you choose to include the distribution amount in income over a 3-year period (2020, 2021, and 2022), and you choose to repay the full amount to an eligible retirement plan in 2022, you may file amended federal income tax returns for 2020 and 2021 to claim a refund of the tax attributable to the amount of the distribution that you included in income for those years, and you will not be required to include any amount in income in 2022. See sections 4.D, 4.E, and 4.F of Notice 2005-92 for additional examples."

Amending 2020 means using Form 8915-E.

0 Cheers
susantax
Level 1

Honestly, you can put any number or letter and the error will not appear, but I don't know if that is correct way to go about it.  Otherwise, I may have to convert and transmit and remove error check.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

It is my understanding that it is going in as a pdf.

0 Cheers
ykbce
Level 3

Thank you for the kudos.  I found the FEMA Disaster Code for PA and I can enter that but I agree with you- will it cause any problems. 

0 Cheers
sdorwartcpa
Level 2

Not sure i agree.  Actually I don't agree.  If you follow flow Chart 1 on the 8915-F it specially leads me to only completed lines 12 though 15.  So not sure why you are saying it doesn't need to be completed or amending a return.  The client has simply deferred the corona distribution over 3 years and paying it back over the 3 years.  No tax effect.  I'm sure the IRS wants to know this.  It appears it should be on 8915-F and for 2021 8915-E is just a worksheet that flows to 8915-F.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@sdorwartcpa 

"deferred the corona distribution over 3 years and paying it back over the 3 years."

This is why you should start your own topic; your issue is entirely different than why this topic was started. Also, you can read the IRS guidance for the repayment, for yourself, to understand how what your taxpayer wants to do, is handled per year they are doing it.

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

I got the error as well.  I just typed Coronavirus and called it a day.

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
the 8915E doesnt get sent anywhere the error doesnt matter

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

If it matters, there are Disaster codes for covid, by State, for Tribes, etc:

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/declarations?field_dv2_state_territory_tribal_value=All&field_year_val...

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/coronavirus/disaster-declarations

0 Cheers
KaleyR
Level 2

I am still getting that error message also. It wants Fema disaster number.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@KaleyR 

I put a link in the reply, above you, to FEMA where you can get the disaster number for the locale.

0 Cheers