Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8288-A & 8288-B Property sales withholding and recovery

rcherenson
Level 4

A Canadian client with real estate properties here, filing 1040NR sold one of his properties and a 8288-A was filed, withholding $18,000 of the sale for tax.

They have not filed an 8288-B and the tax owing on his return is less than $600 so they need to file an 8288-B to recover the tax withheld. I note that form is not included in ProSeries, only the 8288-A. 

Does he need to file the 8288-B separately once his tax return has been filed or should it be filed with his 1040NR tax return? If with it, I would have to paper file, which I would rather not have to do with the delay of getting his original signature on the tax return.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
rcherenson
Level 4

Never mind, I think I have answered my own question, as it seems I could just file the 8288-A with his return and it would generate the refund due. The only issue is the withholding agent was Canadian and doesn't have a U.S. FEIN so ProSeries won't allow an e-file. Which seems to mean I would be back to having to paper file, which is a pain.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Cheers