Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 Converson

ELS VA
Level 3

Is the conversion feature for 2022 returns available? I am new to ProSeries. Thanks.

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

You can transfer clients from 2022 to 2023, yes.  In professional a box comes up when I open the 2023 program asking if I want to transfer clients from last year.  If that does not pop up you can transfer clients from last year by clicking on the Transfer button near the top of the 2023 progam and follow prompts form there.. Just a heads up, you may want to wait a while to transfer clients as this has caused a problem in the past when transferred before updates to that year's program were installed. 

ELS VA
Level 3

Thanks but I probably wasn't clear enough. My clients are not in proseries. I will be converting them from another software program for 2023. I was asking if the conversion feature was ready. Thanks again.

rbynaker
Level 13

No idea how ProSeries suggests you do this.  What I would do would be to convert 2022 clients from your prior software to 2022 ProSeries.  Then verify the converted files vs. the original returns filed in the old software.  Generally speaking there are often things "lost in translation" and you probably don't want to wait until Feb/Mar/Apr to figure out what didn't convert well.  Pay attention to depreciation, carryovers (such as PALs, 179, etc.), and state returns (I would be shocked if ProSeries even converts state returns).

That will give you some time to practice with the 2022 ProSeries software before jumping into 2023 tax season/software.

The early 2023 ProSeries software (out now) is barely good enough for tax projections.  If you use tax organizers they should work out fairly well too (pulling from the 2022 converted ProSeries files) but I always waited until early January before updating 2022 tax > 2023 organizer.  Most folks who have been around for a while wait until at least mid-January to update the 2022 tax files > 2023 tax files.  My process is to do them "as needed" until mid-March when I touch base with folks I haven't heard from yet.  There have been many years when ProSeries had to fix a programming glitch in the prior year > current year process.  The early bird may not get the worm, just the bugs.

This is mostly a peer-to-peer forum with sporadic visits by Intuit employees.  Your best bet for conversion questions is to contact support (or your sales rep if you have one--they can probably hook you up with the onboarding/conversion process.)

If you have ProSeries questions after you convert, it might be a good idea to preface your questions here, letting people know you're a new PS user who converted from other software.  One issue with this forum is that Intuit leaves the "barn door" wide open, so we end up with a lot of DIY/TurboTax user questions.  Letting folks know you're actually a ProSeries user and new to the software will let us know you didn't just wander in from Google with a DIY question.

Beyond that, welcome to the asylum!

Rick

ELS VA
Level 3

Thanks! I purchased ProSeries in May and have worked through all of the training programs. I was advised that I could not convert filed 2022 returns from ATX to 2022 ProSeries. They said I would need to wait until 2023 was available. Only 2021 could be converted by the 2022 Proseries which would not have helped. A tech actually tried to convert 2022 to 2022 and it failed. I will wait until the conversion feature for 2023 is approved. Thanks again. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi  can you comment on this process, is Data Conversion available yet?

@ELS VA   Have you downloaded and installed the 2023 version of ProSeries yet?  If not, Log into your ProSeries account and see if its available.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/multi-factor-authentication/signing-account...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sure, let me see if I can get more information. Thanks! 

davegibbtaxprep
Level 2

thank you jim

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Two and a half weeks later and still no news to report from Intuit?  

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are you surprised?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Not at all☹️

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

I didn't think so.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try the conversion of your 2022 ATX to 2022 ProSeries now. https://accountants.intuit.com/tax-software/proseries/data-conversion/ 

IF that is successful, I would wait to proforma form 2022 PS to 2023 PS, as 2023 is still in it's infancy and not really ready for prime time. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
ELS VA
Level 3

Thanks but that was tried and you cannot convert 2022 to 2022.

1040girl
Level 1

Did you ever get your files converted..I am having the same issue..and I am over it already after spending over an hour on the phone with help..they said contact atx...who says it is not their problem since I did not stay with them...

0 Cheers
ELS VA
Level 3

I haven't tried yet. ATX cannot help you convert ATX to ProSeries.......that doesn't sound right?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know why ATX would help.  Isn't that like going into a Chevy dealer trying to get warranty work done on your new Ford?  ProSeries is the one that needs to help.  They say their software will convert to ProSeries so somebody at Intuit better know how to do that.  But calling support is a bit of a crap shoot.  Sometimes you get lucky and get a knowledgeable person and sometimes you end up with someone who has trouble trying to find their way to work in the morning.  So, it's worth trying to call support again and hopefully you get the guy or gal who knows how to find their way into work.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

@ELS VA @1040girl @davegibbtaxprep Are you converting from an online ATX or on your computer ATX. If online, that is where the hang up probably is. Other software conversions have experienced the same issue. If you can convert your online ATX to a on your PC ATX, then moving to ProSeries should work just fine. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns