Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Amended Tax for the ERC

ChiHoang
Level 4

I'm working on amending 2020 tax returns for the Employee Retention Credit (ERC) for a client.

Do I reduce the wages or payroll tax for the ERC ? The reason I ask, if I reduce the wages, it greatly affects the QBI deduction.

Please advise.

Thanks 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
ChiHoang
Level 4

I just saw this in my tax research. Would you agree that ERC adjustment should be against "employment tax" ?

"Under both section 2301(a) of the CARES Act and section 3134 of the Code, the employee retention credit is claimed against “applicable employment taxes.” For purposes of the employee retention credit under the CARES Act, section 2301(c)(1) defines “applicable employment taxes” to mean the taxes imposed on employers by section 3111(a) of the Code (employer’s share of the Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (social security tax)), or so much of the taxes imposed on employers by section 3221(a) of the Code (Tier 1 tax under the Railroad Retirement Tax Act (RRTA)) that are attributable to the rate in effect under section 3111(a). Section II.A. of Notice 2021-20 provides that, under section 2301, eligible employers are entitled to claim the employee retention credit against the employer’s share of social security tax after these taxes are reduced by any credits claimed under sections 3111(e) and (f), sections 7001 and 7003 of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), Pub. L. No. 116-127, 134 Stat. 178 (2020), and section 303(d) of the Relief Act. Section II.A. of Notice 2021-20 further provides that, under section 2301, eligible employers subject to the RRTA are entitled to claim the employee retention credit against the portion of Tier 1 tax under the RRTA that is equivalent to the employer’s share of social security tax after these taxes are reduced by any credits allowed under sections 7001 and 7003 of the FFCRA and section 303(d) of the Relief Act.

For purposes of the employee retention credit under section 3134 of the Code, section 3134(c)(1) defines “applicable employment taxes” to mean the taxes imposed under section 3111(b) of the Code (employer’s share of Hospital Insurance (Medicare) tax), or so much of the portion of Tier 1 tax under the RRTA that is equivalent to the employer’s share of Medicare tax. Section 3134(b)(2) provides that the credit allowed under section 3134(a) with respect to a calendar quarter will not exceed the applicable employment taxes, reduced by any credits allowed under sections 3131 and 3132 of the Code (tax credits under the ARP for qualified sick leave wages and qualified family leave wages, respectively, paid with respect to leave taken by employees beginning on April 1, 2021, through September 30, 2021), on the wages paid with respect to the employment of all the employees of the eligible employer for such calendar quarter. Section 3134(b)(3) provides that if any amount of the credit under section 3134(a) exceeds the limitation under section 3134(b)(2) for any calendar quarter, such excess will be treated as an overpayment that will be refunded under sections 6402(a) and 6413(b) of the Code.

Accordingly, for the third and fourth quarters of 2021, eligible employers are entitled to claim the employee retention credit against the employer’s share of Medicare tax, or the portion of Tier 1 tax under the RRTA that is equivalent to the employer’s share of Medicare tax, after these taxes are reduced by any credits allowed under sections 3131 and 3132 of the Code, with the excess refunded" under section 6402 or 6413 of the Code.

0 Cheers
ChiHoang
Level 4

This is what I found in the Q&A section. It looks that I have to deduct wages for the ERC. Do you agree ?

L. Special Issues for Employers: Income and Deduction

Question 60: Does the employee retention credit reduce the expenses that an eligible employer could otherwise deduct on its federal income tax return?

Answer 60: Yes. Section 2301(e) of the CARES Act provides that rules similar to section 280C(a) of the Code shall apply for purposes of applying the employee retention credit. Section 280C(a) generally disallows a deduction for the portion of wages or salaries paid or incurred equal to the sum of certain credits determined for the taxable year. Accordingly, a similar deduction disallowance applies under section 2301(e) of the CARES Act with regard to the employee retention credit, such that an employer’s deduction for qualified wages, including qualified health plan expenses, is reduced by the amount of the employee retention credit. (An employer does not, however, reduce its deduction for the employer’s share of social security and Medicare taxes by any portion of the credit).

Question 61: Does an eligible employer receiving an employee retention credit for qualified wages need to include any portion of the credit in income?

Answer 61: No. An employer receiving a tax credit for qualified wages, including allocable qualified health plan expenses, does not include the credit in gross income for federal income tax purposes. Neither the portion of the credit that reduces the employer’s applicable employment taxes, nor the refundable portion of the credit, is included in the employer’s gross income.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes you reduce the wages deduction.

Yes this can affect the QBI deduction.

Ex-AllStar
ChiHoang
Level 4

Thank you

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome