Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Form 1041 NOL error

3Tax
Level 2

ProSeries 2018 has an error on Form 1041 stating that "Form 1041: Line 15b amount is not valid. The amount must be significant on this field for electronic filing." The error appeared after updating ProSeries. Line 15b is for a Net Operating Loss Deduction, but the client does not have a NOL deduction. We tried entering 0 but it will not accept it. We also tried efiling with the error checking turned off, but it does not work. Is there a fix for this error?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you right click on Line 15b and choose Cross Reference does it take you to where that line number is generating the message from?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
3Tax
Level 2

It goes to the Schedule of Net Operating Loss Carryovers. We tried 0's on the lines but the error does not go away.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and you cant delete that Schedule of Net Operating Loss Carryovers form?

0 Cheers
3Tax
Level 2

No, it won't delete.

0 Cheers
Renee1107
Level 2

I just got off the phone with Intuit Tech Support.  This issue is being sent to the programmers to fix.  There was not a definite answer on how long that was going to take to be completed.

patke
Level 1

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the return to efile with the error in it?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had this happen on a 1041 yesterday...I hadnt even entered any income into the return, but it had Line 15b highlighted pink as an error...I exited the file and came back to it later to make entries (I figured I could at least get it completed, even if I couldn't file until that issue was fixed) and by the time I had finished entering everything, the error was gone, I have no clue what I did or didnt do to make it happen, it was really weird.

0 Cheers
3Tax
Level 2

Did your return have a NOL created during 2018? The one that I am working on had an NOL in 2018 to carryover into 2019. But, we are not using any of the NOL in 2018.

0 Cheers
3Tax
Level 2

The error is still there this morning. Did you paper file the return? It goes away if it is marked not to electronic file.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No NOL (or any type of loss) on this one, only interest and dividends...maybe that's why the error disappeared for me?  By the time I was done entering the income the error was gone and I efiled without any issues.

@IntuitAustin  do you see any other reports of this from phone support?  I know someone in the ProSeries FB group had this same issue and was on the phone with support 2 days ago...not sure if she ever got any solution though....she hasn't replied back in the FB group.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ok, in the FB group, she said spent 2 hours on the phone with support and they couldnt get it fixed, she ended up paper filing. 

They told her she was the only report of it though, so you may want to call in....its obviously not an isolated incident, the more people that report it the quicker they'll get someone working on it.

0 Cheers
Renee1107
Level 2

I had to send a paper file as the extended due date was 4/30/20.  There was no work around for getting it to e-file.

0 Cheers
Renee1107
Level 2

I just downloaded the newest ProSeries 2018 update and now the error is gone.  Too late for me since the return I was working on was due 4/30/20, but I hope this helps the rest of you.