Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

199A Mixed use building

Sashaa
Level 2

Any advice on how to separate the Real Estate Enterprise for the 199A Rental Safe Harbor in the following situation?

1 Rental is a Building with multiple units of which is some are Commercial businesses and some are residential apartments. (one set of books & records)

1 Rental is a Room Rental in taxpayer's primary residence. (second set of books & records)

For the aggregation requirement that commercial and residential cannot be combined into one enterprise, yet separate books and records must be kept for each...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Sashaa
Level 2

SOLVED! 

Apparently I missed it the first 20 times I read the safe harbor...

From the second to the last paragraph on page 4 of Rev. Proc. 2019-38

"An interest in mixed-use property may be treated as a single rental real estate enterprise or may be bifurcated into separate residential and commercial interests.  For purposes of this revenue procedure, mixed-use property is defined as a single building that combines residential and commercial units.  An interest in mixed-use property, if treated as a single rental real estate enterprise, may not be treated as part of the same enterprise as other residential, commercial, or mixed-use property."

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Consider whether it is a Qualified Business without resorting to the Safe Harbor.

Ex-AllStar
Sashaa
Level 2

Thank you for that suggestion. 🙂

0 Cheers
Sashaa
Level 2

SOLVED! 

Apparently I missed it the first 20 times I read the safe harbor...

From the second to the last paragraph on page 4 of Rev. Proc. 2019-38

"An interest in mixed-use property may be treated as a single rental real estate enterprise or may be bifurcated into separate residential and commercial interests.  For purposes of this revenue procedure, mixed-use property is defined as a single building that combines residential and commercial units.  An interest in mixed-use property, if treated as a single rental real estate enterprise, may not be treated as part of the same enterprise as other residential, commercial, or mixed-use property."