Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

179d tax incentive to the designer

Level 1

Has anyone helped a client with a 179d credit? No one seems to know where exactly to take the credit on the designer's personal return...

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
5 Replies 5
Level 13

It's not a "credit", it is a deduction.

Is the taxpayer self employed filing a Schedule C?  If so, just enter it as an "other" deduction on Schedule C.

0 Cheers
Level 1

He's an employee, not self-employed.

0 Cheers
Level 13

I just dug through the Code a bit, and unfortunately my first impression is that it would be a misc itemized deduction, which would usually be subject to the 2% haircut, but not currently allowed.

I suppose if you disagree with that and want to be aggressive and take the deduction, you could enter it as a negative amount as an "other income" on Schedule 1.  But as of now, my reading of things would put it in the itemized deductions with a 2% haircut (which is not even allowed right now).

0 Cheers
Level 1

That's what was my initial thought as well.  Thanks for your input!


0 Cheers
Level 15

"He's an employee, not self-employed."

Is he a shareholder, then? For a passthrough entity?

Are you asking for this:


A "regular" employee would not benefit from this.

Have they got the full determination?

Here's the earlier discussion topic:



"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers