Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099SA

mcd1231
Level 4

My client received a 1099SA but cannot find it.  He doesn't work for the employer anymore and never had an online account.  He also said he used the account for non medical purchases. So I won't know the value of the HSA at year end.  

Do I have to have the 1099SA to finish the return?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

his employer wont have it, he needs to call the HSA company to get a duplicate

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mcd1231
Level 4

Right but he doesn't know who that is and he no longer works for that employer.  And for some reason, he doesn't want to call the former employer.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@mcd1231 wrote:

Right but he doesn't know who that is and he no longer works for that employer.  And for some reason, he doesn't want to call the former employer.

"I can file an extension while you get that figured out."

qbteachmt
Level 15

An HSA might have been established through an employer, but it's his personal account. It isn't like a 401(k) that gets "left" with the employer. It's a banking account, and it's personal, so he needs to figure out who has his account. You can use that same HSA account as you change jobs, as long as your coverage still qualifies you for an HSA.

He's been spending from it, so he is misleading you. If he has a spending card, turn it over.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesnt he have an HSA card or something?  how did he get the money to use it?  thats the company he needs to call to get a replacement.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪