Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R and 1041

Kobebean
Level 3

Hi,

Doing a 1041 that includes a 1099R with Federal Withholding. Is there any area within the 1041 to allocate that withholding to the beneficiaries of the K-1. I see that dividends and interest are able to be allocated but not with 1099R's or maybe I am not doing it correctly?  Is this possible or does the withholding go flow back to the Trust only as a form of a refund? Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You generally can't allocate regular tax withholding to beneficiaries.  It's different for backup withholding and estimated tax payments.  See this older discussion with citation:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/the-treatment-is-codifi...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think theres a way to allocate withholding to beneficiaries.  I tell them to choose NO withholding on distributions, get the full amount, then distribute to the beneficiaries so they can make estimated payments for the income on their returns.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Kobebean
Level 3

I ended up putting the withholding in slot 4 of the dividend worksheet by itself, that way I could allocate to beneficiaries through the k-1 on the tax payments page. Not exactly the correct place but at least it's ended up in the right place. Not sure why you can do the same for 1099R withholding. 

0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7

Only estimated taxes can be allocated to beneficiaries. And only via an election.

Income tax withholding cannot be allocated to beneficiaries. You can get a refund and then split that up.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

1041-T

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You generally can't allocate regular tax withholding to beneficiaries.  It's different for backup withholding and estimated tax payments.  See this older discussion with citation:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/the-treatment-is-codifi...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar