Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-S Proceeds

MukePJ
Level 2

Mother sell her home and divides the proceeds between her three children and they each get a 1099-S for proceeds totaling $37,000 each.  How should this be entered on a 1040?

13 Comments 13
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Doesn't make sense to do it the way you mentioned. Mom gets the $250K exclusion, so why would anyone set it up this way?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Mom was still alive when home was sold?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MukePJ
Level 2

Yes, mom is still alive.  She sold her property in New Orleans 

0 Cheers
MukePJ
Level 2

Not making a lot of sense to me.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Was this a primary residence for the mother?  Were the children on the property deed?

Was she trying to gift them her proceeds?

MukePJ
Level 2

From what I've been told, it was supposed to be a gift to the siblings.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

So mom gifted the home to the kids before it was sold, that would be the only way the 1099-S's were in their name. 

Say goodby to the $250,000 exclusion and hello to 1/3 of Mom's basis for each of the kids.

If she just told the title company "send this much of the $$ to each of my kids" the -S would still be in mom's name.

Just to be sure find out if the kids had to sign at the closing - that should be the real tell as to who the owner was at that point.

Somebody gave them some great estate planning advice there!

But on the other hand - you get to charge mom for preparing a gift tax return too!

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Just to be sure find out if the kids had to sign at the closing"

On the Sale. The kids obviously filled in W9 (or Mom did it for them) but that isn't the Sale Closing.

It certainly helps Mom if it turns out they used the 1099-S only as "distribution names" as a replacement for her doing the Banking. Then, she will still be able to use her exemption.

She still has a gift issue, though, unless you can allocate it well enough to avoid that part.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The closing settlement statement will have the name(s) of the seller(s).

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
MukePJ
Level 2

My client is looking for the closing documents. 

0 Cheers
MukePJ
Level 2

I didn't get the answer I needed.  I have the closing documents and the mom, and all 3 children's names are on the closing documents.  I need to know how to enter my client's portion on his tax return. Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You will probably need to know both How and When the kids were added to mom's house deed.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I have the closing documents and the mom, and all 3 children's names are on the closing documents."

Well, it certainly wasn't the answer you wanted. Have you explained the dilemma so that they can help you? They should know how, when, if, everyone got/was on the deed. My county records are an open tab on the browser at all times. I can tell you anything you need regarding deeds, for county parcels, and by address, COS, Names. Heck, if I put in a name, I will see every parcel you own.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers