Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R worksheet - how do I fill out B5-B8?

Vols3827
Level 3

My client has a 1099-R - she rolled over a 401K from her old company to a traditional IRA.  I filled out all of the information from the 1099-R into the 1099-R worksheet.

The entire 401K balance was distributed and rolled over to a traditional IRA.

B5 says "Full amount of Line B4 rolled or converted to a Roth IRA" - I am not checking that box because it was rolled over to a traditional IRA instead of a Roth.

B7 says "if box 7 code is G, check if in-plan Roth rollover to a designated Roth"; so box 7 code is indeed G, but she rolled it all over to a traditional IRA, so I am also not checking this box.

I am also ignoring B8 due to the fact that this is not rolled over to a Roth.  So at this point, I think I have nothing more to fill out on the 1099-R worksheet, is that right?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
B1 should do everything you need...look at the front page of the 1040. Shows in the gross, but not in the taxable and shows the word Rollover on the line.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Why doesnt Box B1 work?

0 Cheers
Vols3827
Level 3

So I have Box B1 checked (Entire Distribution rolled over).

Are you saying that once B1 is checked it supercedes the need to fill out anything below it?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
B1 would mean a total rollover, you shouldnt need to mark anything else if the entire amount was rolled.

0 Cheers
Vols3827
Level 3

Thanks and I guess that would also negate the need to fill out Page 3 of that worksheet as well right?  Where it talks about the simple method for distribution etc.  Because the entire amount was rolled over that section (Page 3) is also now no longer relevant I think?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
B1 should do everything you need...look at the front page of the 1040. Shows in the gross, but not in the taxable and shows the word Rollover on the line.

0 Cheers
Vols3827
Level 3

Yes I checked and I see what you mean.  I think I'm good now.  Thank you so much!