Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R for deceased

Rainman1966
Level 3

Just looking for a general opinion.  Client died in 2022.  The surviving spouse has not changed one of the deceased husbands IRA's to her name so the 2023 1099-R is coming under the decease spouse's SSN.  Only a $5000 distribution.  Would you report this amount on the surviving spouse's tax return and just attach a note to the return.  Unfortunately this is quite a repetitive issue as my client base continues to age.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's April 13th so I wouldn't hesitate to just plop it on her return.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's April 13th so I wouldn't hesitate to just plop it on her return.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

What I find interesting is that you refer to the deceased as "client," but the widow only as "surviving spouse."  I hope in time you come to consider her a client also.  Maybe for your approval she needs to clean up her act by closing the IRA account.  I have already mentioned elsewhere that we tax income, not pieces of paper, so I won't say it again.  She got $5,000 income.  To avoid fraud, put it on her return.  It's not even a situation where document matching will generate a deficiency notice, because IRS has been informed of the death.  If there was tax withheld, IRS might ask about that in a year or so.  They don't match all the 1099 withholding reports until much later in the year.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"She got $5,000 income."

I read that as "only $5,000" as if that is immaterial.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Since the withholding goes into the IRS account for the decedent, how will it be credited on another person's SSN and 1040?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

No mention in question of withholding but we don't all have our own 1099 withholding account.    Well, OK, there's the one we set up ourselves by claiming it on a tax return, and IRS can audit that.  So they might ask for an explanation, if it's a problem.  

0 Cheers