Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R Code W

cmm1
Level 2

I have a 1099-R with Code W and showing a distribution in Box 1 and and $0 taxable amount in Box 2.  Pro Series is including the box 1 amount in taxable income.  Why?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cmm1
Level 2

You are correct.  After I deleted and re-entered, it did take it out of 4d taxable.

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Not sure Ive seen a Code W before...what does it represent?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A code W Form 1099-R reports amounts that are explicitly excludable from income under Section 72(e)(11) of the tax code.   Section 72(e)(11) of the tax code also treats the distribution from the annuity as a nontaxable distribution of basis (to the extent of the basis in the annuity).

If you enter a zero in box 2a, my screen shows that its not counted as taxable income.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

"Charges / payments for purchasing long term care insurance contracts". I've never saw one, not sure how to handle, would have to research

0 Cheers
cmm1
Level 2

It shouldn't be taxable, but it is including as taxable in Line 4c - Pensions & Annuties.  I've tried deleting the 1099-R and re-entering, but it is still showing up as taxable.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

4c isnt the taxable amount, thats the gross amount,  4d is taxable...whats showing there?

cmm1
Level 2

You are correct.  After I deleted and re-entered, it did take it out of 4d taxable.

Thanks!!

BobKamman
Level 15

Coincidentally, my last client had one of these (from Lincoln National Life).  They are generated by annuities that have an LTC insurance component.  She says her agent recently told her she's lucky to have bought it when she did, because they don't sell them anymore.  

cmm1
Level 2

I'm sure that is true!  So many fewer players in the LTC game, not nearly as many options and much more expensive!

Thanks!

0 Cheers