Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-MISC for 'non-qualified Pension Lump Sum Distribution' from deceased spouse

jritchie
Level 3

77 year old client provided a 1099-MISC w/ $162,000 in box 3 'Other Income' and no other boxes are checked, no tax withholding shown.   She says this is a "Lump Sum Pension Distribution from a Non-Qualified Plan".  

If I enter this to 2023 ProSeries as a 1099-Misc Worksheet on line 3 and check the 'other income' box, this flows to Schedule 1, line 8z. From there to 1040 page 1, line 8 as 'additional income' which is fully taxable. 

Non-Qualified Plan Contributions are (normally) made with after tax money.  So why is this all flowing to taxable line 8 of the 1040 page 1?  Do we think she has the wrong tax form (1099-Misc)?  Or am I entering this incorrectly?

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

Pension distributions don't normally show up on a 1099MISC.  Talk to the broker or the company that issued the 1099 to get the scoop on what it really represents.

Slava Ukraini!
jritchie
Level 3

Tried that - the Broker says their reporting is correct. I was expecting a  1099-R, not a 1009-MISC.

Her husband passed 2 years ago.  The company he worked for was recently purchased (change in control) which triggered this lump sum payout.   Her husband used to 'handle everything'.  So my elderly client is of no help and has no paperwork on this old plan.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Without any other help or paperwork, it's kind of hard to treat it any other way than what you did on your first pass.  Was the 1099 issued by the brokerage firm itself or a third party?  Can the broker at least explain what the money actually represents?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

maybe it was some kind of death benefit, not really a retirement payout?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's what I can contribute: The difference between qualified and nonqualified is ERISA and tax treatment. It would be a deferred compensation plan, and not anything related to a life insurance or annuitization, based on how it was stated. It isn't really "pension" but the overflow of a pension plan, such as, the executive employees are maxed out in the pension, and there is a way to stash this money for later. It and its growth/earnings are tax deferred for income tax purposes. It would have been taxed for Social Security and Medicare when the employer contributed it to the plan. Think of the scenario as a Bonus, but the takehome was not distributed and therefor, not treated as taxable income, even though it is treated as taxable compensation (FICA).

I found one reference that states this for reference: "Death benefits from nonqualified deferred compensation plans or section 457 plans paid to the estate or beneficiary of a deceased employee are reportable on Form 1099-MISC. Do not report these death benefits on Form 1099-R. However, if the benefits are from a qualified plan, report them on Form 1099-R. See the Instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498. For additional information, see Deceased employee’s wages in the Form 1099-MISC instructions."

Hope that helps.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jritchie
Level 3

YES!!  Further digging and calls revealed this was a SERP (deferred comp) my elderly client (the widow) was apparently mistaken by calling it "Non-Qualified Pension Lump Sum Distribution." 

Deferred Comp for highly paid employee.  I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you!

qman
Level 1

Can you explain how you entered this into Turbo Tax?  I have the same problem, it's my Mom's return.  My Dad passed and she gets a 1099-MISC, Box 3 only entered for a pension plan from my Dad.  I tried calling the bank where my Dad worked over it and they have no clue about why it's sent as a 1099-MISC.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@qman wrote:

Can you explain how you entered this into Turbo Tax?  I have the same problem, it's my Mom's return.  My Dad passed and she gets a 1099-MISC, Box 3 only entered for a pension plan from my Dad.  I tried calling the bank where my Dad worked over it and they have no clue about why it's sent as a 1099-MISC.  

I think you may be in the wrong place...this forum is for tax professionals using Intuit's professional tax software, it appears you may be looking for DIY help.

Please visit the TurboTax Help site for DIY support, they may be able to help you.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jritchie
Level 3

Sorry - professional forum is not for Turbo Tax users. 

0 Cheers