Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-DIV in deceased persons name & SS#

abs96
Level 3

Client received 1099-DIV in deceased husband's name & SS#.  The account is only in husband's name.  Husband died Oct. 2020.  I already filed a final return in 2021 for federal and state returns.  I am assuming I will have to file a tax return for federal and state using the husband's name.  The surviving spouse has been trying to get this account changed over to her name since his death.  Finally it happened in 2022.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

"Short Certificate" seems to be peculiar to New Jersey, where they don't trust people to pump their own gas either.  You have to go to the courthouse and fork over at least $100 cash, to resolve a simple problem like this?  Or maybe it's Delaware. 

Put it on her return, and explain to her "stepped-up basis" so she can sell it before her heirs have the same problem.  

Edited to add:  Or it looks like you may be in Pennsylvania, where they do things the way most states gave up 50 years ago.  

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
sjrcpa
Level 15

This goes on an estate 1041.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

A 2021 1040 is not filed for a 2020 decedent.  You might have to file a 1041 for his estate, but that's the long way around the barn if the widow constructively received the funds (or the new shares, if this was a dividend reinvestment account).  Which means, amend her 2021 return if she failed to tell you about this.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
How much $$ are we talking about?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abs96
Level 3

This was the only investment account in the husband's name only, everything else was held jointly.  We have 3 funds within 1 account (Mainstay Funds).  Total ordinary dividends $976.62; Total qualified dividends $48.27; Total capital gain distributions $1184.09.

I think it would be easier to put it on the wife's return for 2021 (working on her return now).  I don't think they had to file an estate return.  Do I document anywhere that it was for the husband.  She would be filing as single, correct? or married filing joint?

0 Cheers
abs96
Level 3

Ordinary dividends - $976.62; Qualified dividends $48.27; Capital gain distributions $1184.09

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

That meets the requirement for having to file an estate 1041.

But, what would happen if you amended the wife's return and included it there? 🤔

Ex-AllStar
abs96
Level 3

I am working on the wifes return for 2021 now.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If she got the money it's income in respect of decedent -- goes on her return.  How did she resolve the issue, by filing a "Small Estate Affidavit"?  Which probably said that all taxes had been paid.  

0 Cheers
abs96
Level 3

All the dividends were reinvested into the funds.  Since the account was only in her husband's name only, she had to file a Short Certificate to be able to put the account in her name.  No estate taxes were filed.  As of 2022 the account is in her name only.  She has not taken any money out of the fund.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"Short Certificate" seems to be peculiar to New Jersey, where they don't trust people to pump their own gas either.  You have to go to the courthouse and fork over at least $100 cash, to resolve a simple problem like this?  Or maybe it's Delaware. 

Put it on her return, and explain to her "stepped-up basis" so she can sell it before her heirs have the same problem.  

Edited to add:  Or it looks like you may be in Pennsylvania, where they do things the way most states gave up 50 years ago.  

abs96
Level 3

I did put it on her return.  Had the same thought, she should sell it so her heirs don't have the same problem.  Ah yes, Pennsylvania.  Thanks for all your help.

0 Cheers