Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1098-T with prior year adjustments, no prior year education credit or deductions, is this reported?

The taxpayer is a graduate student who gets a 1098T each year with more aid than expenses, so he always has some taxable income from it. He's never had any education credits or the tuition deduction. This year, there are amounts in boxes 4 and 6 for prior year adjustments. The net of the adjustments would end up being more taxable income.

Everything I read about this mentions adjusting a prior education credit or tuition deduction. I have found nothing that addresses what to do if the taxpayer never had either one. Logically, it seems he should pick up the additional income but I can find nothing that says this.  Does anyone know? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I've never encountered this, but I'm reading it as it reduced the current-year tuition expenses.  *IF* that is the case, it effectively increases the taxable amount of scholarships for this year.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970#en_US_2022_publink1000293333

0 Cheers