Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1098-T Box 1 doesn't include total tuition paid

david3
Level 7

TP submitted all college expenses paid for his dependent. The total expenses equal the amount distributed from the 529 plan.

Form 1098-T box 1 shows $20,584 tuition paid in 2023 and box 7 is checked stating that box 1 includes amounts for Jan - Mar 2024. Box 5 shows scholarships for $14,000.

The net tuition amount paid per form 1098-T (box 1 minus box 7) is $6,584. The TP's information shows tuition paid in 2023 was $18,951.

How/where do I enter the additional tuition expenses paid so that total expenses minus $4,000 used for the credit are considered in the 1099-Q qualified expenses?

I could add it to the Qualified Elementary and Secondary Tuition Smart Wks in the dependent student info wks, but the additional tuition is for post secondary education.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ATBLLC
Level 3

If you have additional eductional that is NOT on a 1098-T (post secondary education), then that is where you can place the amount on the line inside the box called, "Qualified Elemetary and Secondary tuition smart worksheet".  Assuming that you have qualified post secondary educaiton that you did not receive a 1098-T. The amount will pre-fill to line 1 below.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
ATBLLC
Level 3

You have enter any addtional education expenses on the "Student Info Worksheet" on Part VI.

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

Thank you for your help.

I understand that additional education expenses need to be entered on the "Student info worksheet", but where?

There are no lines to enter additional tuition expenses. The only place to enter additional tuition expenses is on the Smart Worksheet on the line that says additional tuition expenses. However, the instructions say that it is only for secondary education and NOT for post secondary education.

So, do I still enter the additional college tuition on that line anyway? 

0 Cheers
ATBLLC
Level 3

If you have additional eductional that is NOT on a 1098-T (post secondary education), then that is where you can place the amount on the line inside the box called, "Qualified Elemetary and Secondary tuition smart worksheet".  Assuming that you have qualified post secondary educaiton that you did not receive a 1098-T. The amount will pre-fill to line 1 below.

david3
Level 7

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Cheers