Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1042-S withholding = can't e-file 1040NR?

AlexEpix
Level 2

I have a client with a 1042-S withholding.  After searching around the community, I found instructions to enter the amount withheld on 1040NR line 25g.

When I e-filed today, it was rejected by the Taxing Authority (i.e. IRS).   It seems to state that ProSeries Professional does not support e-filing a tax return with a 1042-S withholding?  Can someone please confirm? Is there a worksheet that I missed?

The error message is as follows:

Error F1040NR-020: Form 1040NR, 'WithholdingTxFrom1042SAmt' must be equal to the sum of the following: [(1) all Forms 1042-S, 'TotalTaxWithholdingCreditAmt' and (2) all Forms RRB 1042-S, 'FederalIncomeTaxWithheldAmt' and (3) all Forms SSA 1042-S, ('NetTaxWithheldAmt' if it has a non-zero value, otherwise 'FederalIncomeTaxWithheldAmt')]. Review the amount that appears on 1040NR line 62d, Federal income tax withheld from Form(s) 1042-S. This amount must match the sum of withholding from Forms SSA 1042-S, RRB 1042-S, and 1042-S

If any portion of this amount is from the taxpayer's Form 1042-S, this return cannot be electronically filed. Form 1042-S is not supported by this program, and therefore, a paper copy of the return must be filed with Form 1042-S attached. Complete Form 8948, Preparer Explanation for Not filing Electronically, mark box 4 and enter the reject code. Then print this return, and mail it to the appropriate IRS Service Center. Include a copy of the Form 1042-S received by the taxpayer, if applicable.

4 Comments 4
CCASTILLO11
Level 2

Hey did you ever figure this out? 

I actually have someone that does not have a social or ITIN but received this 1042-s. I am trying to use the 1040NR  but it still asks for a social and I dont see where to enter the 1042s info. 

0 Cheers
icris04
Level 3

Hi, I am in a similar situation. is this a 1042S from gamblings? for a non resident?

0 Cheers
mayet
Level 1

Hi icris

In may understanding you have to apply for the ITIN (W7 form) and attached the 1042-S and mail to IRS by paper

0 Cheers
Taxesnmore
Level 2

I have the same problem, including with the Treaty article for Canada, but on 2020 I did it and my client received their refund, this time is not.

Intuit please answer

0 Cheers