Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 E filling

Digital137
Level 2

I'm trying to e-file a 1040 but is not letting me. I know today is the last day but its until 11:59pm and its 8:48pm

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
DebDye
Level 2

I am having the same problem.  All of my individual returns are receiving Transmission Failed due to IRS shutdown which is not until 11:00pm Central Time.  It is now 8:43pm.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

0 Cheers

I am having the same issue! I am updating the software to see if it will make a difference.

0 Cheers
Digital137
Level 2

Same here

0 Cheers

so unfair 😑 

0 Cheers
DebDye
Level 2

I am giving up.  I have e-filed all clients and printed out the e-File Post Transmission Summary Report on each client.  Hopefully they will remedy this mess and allow us to have the three day time period to "correct" and refile.

Only Hope!

Happy Turkey Day!

0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5

The IRS has announced the Modernized e-File (MeF) system will be shutdown for annual maintenance in preparation of Tax Year 2023. This shutdown will only impact Individual Federal and State filings, while California will remain open as they are independent of the IRS system. ProSeries will remain open for California 1040 e-file through the end of the calendar year. This shutdown period will begin Saturday, November 18, 2023, at 11:59 PM Eastern time. ProSeries will shutdown 4 hours earlier to ensure that all returns in our system have time to process before the shutdown. ProSeries will begin blocking returns Saturday, November 18, 2023, at 7:59 PM Eastern.

BobKamman
Level 15

Up until a few days ago, the people who were supposed to come to work at midnight to shut down the system were expecting to be told that they are not essential, so don't show up.  Maybe they were already told, and then no one told them the government was back on. 

More likely, the people who write the press releases figured they should add an hour and minute, and maybe that's the way it was last year, so why bother to ask if anything had changed?  Or the people that plan the outage, decided it wouldn't really matter if they did it at 5pm instead of midnight, and they didn't even know about the press release that said otherwise. 

IRS is a big place.  Don't ever expect coordination from the many arms of the octopus.  (Or are they legs?)  

DebDye
Level 2

So in other words - we really are screwed with our clients until the IRS decides to open up?!  The error was on the IRS side or Intuit side?

0 Cheers

Hey DebDye,

Definitely on Inuits end! But it’s not an error; more so miscommunication or lack of clear communication lol. There was a statement made on Inuits side that they would close before the irs shutdown but they did not give an exact time. They have always left filing open until midnight EST time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
dkh
Level 15

@DebDye 

You always have the option to mail the return instead of waiting for e-file to reopen in January2024

No error on either side.   ProSeries notified us of the 8pm shutdown 

Solved: ProSeries Individual - IRS MeF Annual Shutdown - Intuit Accountants Community

IRonMaN
Level 15

"No error on either side."

The error is on the preparer side.  Folks were "assuming" they had until midnight.  Go back to the early non-politically correct meaning for AssUMe.

Slava Ukraini!

We are clear thanks. We were just venting like humans do because we didn’t AsSume… 

when the rejection first hit we vented then we noted the “notice”. We were processing returns all day like usual preparers and didn’t mind the “notice”.

As an independent preparer there’s no company announcement but it’s noted! Follow the updates when you have to enter last minute clients via efile.

the rest of the returns will be mailed… 

0 Cheers
DebDye
Level 2

I am on LaCerte and we received no notice of which I am aware whenI went back and checked.

I have found the mailing of the returns is not a good idea.  The IRS is way behind on processing paper filed returns.  It is better to wait until the efile opens back up to file the returns.  If money was owed, it can be paid immediately on the IRS web site.  If a refund is due, it will be processed much faster with the efile.

Happy Holidays!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

They posted it here, which doesn't help folks that don't visit here but I don't recall whether or not they used any other methods for notification.  But as a side note, historically they have shut things down a few hours earlier than the IRS to avoid potential issues.

Slava Ukraini!