Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap Gains

jckerr11
Level 2

Mom gave her son her home for free in 2018. Mom lived in house for 15 years. Son sold the house for $250,000 in 2019. Is there cap gains? What is sons basis?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Son's basis is equal to whatever mom's basis was plus any improvements he might have made.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

abctax55
Level 15

I'd do a bit of research on "life estate", using ALL of the info/facts you have on the situation to determine the basis.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

Camp1040
Level 10

If it is a life estate and the mom is still alive, then much research is required as you noted. If it is a life estate and mom died before the sale,then the remainder man of the life estate would get a stepped up basis. 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

When did mom stop living in the house?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Son's basis is equal to whatever mom's basis was plus any improvements he might have made.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I'd do a bit of research on "life estate", using ALL of the info/facts you have on the situation to determine the basis.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Camp1040
Level 10

If it is a life estate and the mom is still alive, then much research is required as you noted. If it is a life estate and mom died before the sale,then the remainder man of the life estate would get a stepped up basis. 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

When did mom stop living in the house?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
jckerr11
Level 2

Mom moved out in June of 2018 and the house was sold in October of 2019

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

So mom moved out and upon doing so gave the house to son?  You then have potential capital gains based on selling price less mom's basis, closing costs, and any money son put into the house.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

So mom moved out and upon doing so gave the house to son?  You then have potential capital gains based on selling price less mom's basis, closing costs, and any money son put into the house.

I'm sure it'll be easy enough to get Mom's basis off of the Gift Tax Return she must have filed for 2018, right?