Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you enter Prior Year Depreciation carryover amount in Proseries?

vsc
Level 1

Hi. Last year the customer had a 1st yr depreciation amount of $4562. However, only $1062 was allowed and the remaining $3482 was said to carry forward to next year. Now this was listed on the Part Rental Worksheet. The Rental property was put in service 5/2018 after residing in the prior to. For this year's return 2019, I listed the full amount of depreciation $4562 in the Sch E worksheet but is uncertain where the carry forward amount goes. I was told to put it in the Carryovers to 2019 Smart Worksheet under the Passive Loss Carryover section as a negative on line G Sch E suspended loss. Is this right? Where will this amount appear on the return? Please help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You create asset entry worksheets for any assets and then depreciation will carry on from year to year.

Any suspended losses get entered way down down down near the bottom of the Sch E worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
vsc
Level 1

Thanks for your response Just Lisa. So because this is a new software I will need to enter it manually. So when I enter the carry forward  loss amount, will I enter it as a negative or a positive? What form will it appear on? I just want to make sure it is reflecting correctly as noted above.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think you have 2 different situations....

Depreciation that needs to be computed and carried along each year for the life of the asset...you need to complete an asset entry worksheet for each of those assets (hopefully you have a depreciation details schedule to pick these up from), you'll include prior depreciation on that asset entry worksheet as well.

Suspended losses from the Form 8582 are different and would be entered down at the bottom of the Sch E worksheet, with the result flowing to the 8582...I cant remember if you need to enter as a negative or not, it may tell you right on the screen.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers