Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing ca amended return cannot find form 540-x

petetanglao
Level 1

need  to find form ca 540-x

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Before making any changes to the federal or CA returns, Open the CA state form, at the top of the Form 540 is a box to check if its an Amended return.

Click Forms on the top menu bar and type in  X the Schedule X will come up.  Type the Tax Year in the space at the top of the Sch X form.  Now go back to the federal and make your changes, Then go back to the Schedule X, it should be filled out with the corrected information.

I learned how to do this reading the HELP file in the program.  Just click that yellow ? on the toolbar when youre in a form that you need help with.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
petetanglao
Level 1
i need telephone number to talk  who can help me go thru the process
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Before making any changes to the federal or CA returns, Open the CA state form, at the top of the Form 540 is a box to check if its an Amended return.

Click Forms on the top menu bar and type in  X the Schedule X will come up.  Type the Tax Year in the space at the top of the Sch X form.  Now go back to the federal and make your changes, Then go back to the Schedule X, it should be filled out with the corrected information.

I learned how to do this reading the HELP file in the program.  Just click that yellow ? on the toolbar when youre in a form that you need help with.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Oh and I found that I had to manually enter the amount of the original refund, it didn't transfer in automatically...so watch for that.

0 Cheers
petetanglao
Level 1
i know,  if you are new in this system will surely dont know what to do been like 2 hrs figuring out of what to do but i appreciate your help thank you
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Youre welcome

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They got rid of the 540X, use the Schedule X and the amended box on the 540.

0 Cheers
petetanglao
Level 1
what line or part number in form 540 be specific
0 Cheers
petetanglao
Level 1
having hard time locating the amended form
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
For 2017 It looks like this https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017/17_schx.pdf and called Schedule X.
Here is the itty bit of help PS offers https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606185-how-do-i-amend-an-individual-federal-or-st...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
ralurvey
Level 1

Even though this discussion thread deals with 2018, it seems to be the best.  So I'm going to add some notes that apply to 2020 and 2019.

1.  The biggest issue I had in getting the right answer is that the 540-ES worksheet was active from the original return.  You should deactivate it for the amended return.  I did this by checking boxes Part I 3a and Part II 2b.  Otherwise, the amended return may try to apply some of the overpayment to the next tax year.

2.  Form 8879 (CA) is not correct.  Line 2 & 3 have amounts from form 540 but should have amounts from Schedule X.  See 8879 (CA) instructions.  You'll have to override these values.

3.  If you have a balance due, the program (and I think FTB) do not support electronic withdrawal from the program.  

4.  Form 3582X Payment Voucher is not supported.  This will have to be completed by hand.  Note, that Drake supports this form.  Another reason to consider Drake next year.

5.  TBD - Electronic deposit of refund.  IRS does not support it.  FTB does (per 8879 (CA) instructions).  Not clear that ProSeries does.

0 Cheers