Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work around for Excess Social Security

cdicfo
Level 2
Due to adjustments, my client has excess Social Security and Medicare that I'd like to claim on his return. The program gives me an error when I attempt to force 8959 (even though it suggests I do) and Schedule 3 Line 11 is not populating. Is there a work around?
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you entered the W-2s properly the program should automatically do all the calculation and adjustment.

IRS even came up with a couple of forms to take care of this. Look closely at the return to see if you can follow the flow 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
cdicfo
Level 2

The program knows the refund is due. When I force the 8959, the credit appears on the 1040 - then error check tells me my client doesn't qualify and I will have to paper file. The excess SS does not appear on the Schedule 1, line 11 and I know I entered it correctly. There was some initial confusion when payroll was set up - single owner Sub S and some benefits are taxable and some are not. I don't want to hold up the refund for a few hundred dollars and mailing in is, in my opinion, not a good option. I'm still working on paper that was sent in over a year ago, I don't want to start another thread. At this point all I can see is to file and let the SSA figure out there's an overpayment and send a check.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

If this is an employer error, the employer has to fix it and refund the erroneous SS tax.  The mechanism built in to the 1040 (2021 Schedule 3 Line 11) is if there are multiple employers and the total withheld exceeds the maximum.