Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the program default balance payment dates to May 17 for IRS and State, or does it have to be overridden?

tomisaacs1
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
JimS_1
Level 3

No - I confirmed there is no way to change.  We sent emails to clients apologizing that we can't fix this and that they will have to cancel by calling the phone number below, and then setting up a new payment.

Here's from the IRS website.  Assume state is similar rules.

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

No, it isn't going to magically change a previous date to 5/17.

Slava Ukraini!
JimS_1
Level 3

No - I confirmed there is no way to change.  We sent emails to clients apologizing that we can't fix this and that they will have to cancel by calling the phone number below, and then setting up a new payment.

Here's from the IRS website.  Assume state is similar rules.

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

tomisaacs1
Level 2

Thanks @JimS_1 .  I didn't think it would but thought someone else might have done the research.  I appreciate you adding the IRS website details too. 

jctax1
Level 1

Is there going to be a update that let's you put in a date after 4-15-2021 ? If you try it say's you can't put in any date after4-15-2021 .. This should have been updated also. Why think ahead????

0 Cheers
JimS_1
Level 3

Looks like it's fixed in the most recent update!

0 Cheers