Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ProConnect not generating form 8895 for QBI deduction for a client with filing status of Surviving Spouse? Client income is below the limit for MFJ.

Raifh
Level 2
My understanding is that MFJ and Surviving Spouse filing status are treated identically.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

What input did you do to general QBI? It is not just automatic. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Raifh
Level 2

The online directions from Intuit state: "For each activity, click on the Qual. Bus. Inc. Deduction section along the top of your screen." However, there is no required input apart from checking the SSTB box. What am I missing?

0 Cheers
Raifh
Level 2

If I change the filing status from Surviving Spouse to MFJ, the QBI deduction shows up. That means the software does not allow the deduction for a surviving spouse, which does not make sense.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't know ProConnect (or Lacerte) but I'm wondering if you have something coded as Spouse instead of Taxpayer?

0 Cheers
Raifh
Level 2

I checked theTaxBook (Sect. 8, Business Deductions). Apparently Surviving Spouse is treated the same as Single or MFS when it comes to the QBI phaseout limits. I had assumed, apparently in error, that it would be treated identically as MFJ. I welcome any further clarification of the regulations.

P.S. I had a typo in the original question. The QBID form is 8995, 8895.