Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the return give me a critical diagnostic that says "This federal return should not be filed with the IRS. It is only generated for the purposes of computing the California Registered Domestic Partner state return."?

MVH
Level 2

My client is filing MFS. I've filled in the form allocating income between spouses showing that all of income goes to the tax payer and 0 to the spouse (which, by the way, was annoying that I have to fill that out manually since I selected for every single one of those items whether they belonged to the tax payer or the spouse).

In the critical diagnostics it still says "This federal return should not be filed with the IRS. It is only generated for the purposes of computing the California Registered Domestic Partner state return."

Why does it say that? This tax payer definitely needs to file a federal return. (The spouse doesn't, but this federal return is for the tax payer who earned all of the income, not the spouse.)

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
MVH
Level 2

I found it!

In the Client Information, I had accidentally selected MFS in the California RDP Filing Status section. Clearly I was doing that too late at night! 😉 

Removed that and the issue went away.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
MVH
Level 2

I found it!

In the Client Information, I had accidentally selected MFS in the California RDP Filing Status section. Clearly I was doing that too late at night! 😉 

Removed that and the issue went away.