Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter long-term capital gains losses on the last year of a trust return?

Level 1
This is the final year of a trust so I know I need to assign STCG
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Level 1

I just found my answer: the IRS doesn't allow it. Sorry to create confusion.

0 Cheers
Level 1

Hi, this is from Form 1041 instructions:

Box 11, Codes C and D—Unused
Capital Loss Carryover
Upon termination of the trust or
decedent's estate, the beneficiary
succeeding to the property is allowed as
a deduction any unused capital loss
carryover under section 1212. If the
estate or trust incurs capital losses in
the final year, use the Capital Loss
Carryover Worksheet in the Instructions
for Schedule D (Form 1041) to figure the
amount of capital loss carryover to be
allocated to the beneficiary.

0 Cheers