Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will IRS begin accepting again e-file for 2020 Form 1040 returns?

BFM
Level 1
I have a 2020 Form 1040 and I am receiving a dialogue box stating they will begin transmitting  returns again in January of 2022.  I am unable to transmit, any additional info would be welcome.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

This issue has been resolved.  I was able to file the 2019 and 2020 returns yesterday and they went through.

The one to two day delay is not a big deal.  It would just be nice if Intuit could communicate there is a minor delay to avoid concern/panic by their clients.  I had expressly urged my clients who finished their prior year returns in December to NOT paper file because e-filing a month later would still be quicker and more secure.  I didn't want to look like a fool here.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

The IRS announcement indicated e-filing resumes today, but when I just tried to e-file a 2020 return, I was given the same error box indicating that e-filing will resume "sometime in late January/early February".

Can Intuit provide an update on when today we can start e-filing returns?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It is in the News and Updates

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-news-updates/discussion/irs-individual-e-file...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

That post says today, but it appears the IRS is only accepting 2021 returns as of today. 

2019 and 2020 returns are still not available for efile submission at this time.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am only the messenger. Merely another user. Intuit sometimes has difficulties fulfilling their promises on time. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Based on what I am seeing on #taxtwitter, this is an IRS issue, as users of other software are experiencing the same issue.  

What would be nice from Intuit is confirmation that 2019 and 2020 returns are not being accepted at this time.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm guessing someone from Intuit will look into and by the time they get back to us, the issue will be no more.

Slava Ukraini!
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

This issue has been resolved.  I was able to file the 2019 and 2020 returns yesterday and they went through.

The one to two day delay is not a big deal.  It would just be nice if Intuit could communicate there is a minor delay to avoid concern/panic by their clients.  I had expressly urged my clients who finished their prior year returns in December to NOT paper file because e-filing a month later would still be quicker and more secure.  I didn't want to look like a fool here.