Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are acceptable documents from clients who pay property tax on their residence directly to the Tax Collector office because it is not on the 1098?

obey234919
Level 2
Client pays home property tax directly to Taxing office and not through mortgage.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You could always just ask your clients what they paid.  The IRS doesn’t make us verify every number for them.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

You could always just ask your clients what they paid.  The IRS doesn’t make us verify every number for them.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

The answer is already in the question you asked.  How then did you trace this collection to property tax your client owed?  That's exactly what you'll ask your client to gather and retain.

We don't audit clients' documents but, in certain cases, I may ask to review them if I have reason to believe the client may not have sufficient understanding to represent the facts correctly and provide the details we need to prepare an accurate return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
obey234919
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I do have the Tax Statements but would you ask for invoices to support it?

Just would rather not over do things 🤔

itonewbie
Level 15

If you are satisfied that the collection is for the tax bill and the amount paid correlates with that, notwithstanding other fees the collection agency may have charged, that should be all you need although your client will need to retain all the relevant documents to prove the actual payment and linkage to the tax bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

In Minnesota, all we get is a tax statement.  Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a tax statement and an invoice in your neck of the woods?

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Trying to get some extra credits to pass our Friday night mind reading class...

I think the OP was referring to the invoice his client got from the collection agency.

Still an AllStar
obey234919
Level 2

😅I meant the other invoice (receipt).

0 Cheers