Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-2 shows 3rd party sick pay. W-2 had FEDERAL wages and ZERO NJ wages, yet software INCLUDED 3rdPSP on NJ return. Can't find a way to override.

MontvilleCPA
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Since third-party sick pay is not supposed to be reported at all on the NJ return but ProConnect Tax, by default, flows the amount to NJ-1040, here's what you can do:

1. Go to the input screen for the W2 in question;
  2. Scroll down to the State and Local section;
  3. Enter -1 in the numeric field (for $0, Lacerte/PTO-speak); and
  4. Select NJ for state sourcing

This will keep the third-party sick pay on the federal return but won't flow it to NJ-1040, Line 15.

If yours is a NJ-1040NR, a couple more entries will be needed to make sure adjustments are made to both Columns A and B.  Please come back if that's what you need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you are certain it is NOT taxable to NJ, then scroll down to (16) State wages, if different and enter a negative one (-1) to indicate zero. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

Since third-party sick pay is not supposed to be reported at all on the NJ return but ProConnect Tax, by default, flows the amount to NJ-1040, here's what you can do:

1. Go to the input screen for the W2 in question;
  2. Scroll down to the State and Local section;
  3. Enter -1 in the numeric field (for $0, Lacerte/PTO-speak); and
  4. Select NJ for state sourcing

This will keep the third-party sick pay on the federal return but won't flow it to NJ-1040, Line 15.

If yours is a NJ-1040NR, a couple more entries will be needed to make sure adjustments are made to both Columns A and B.  Please come back if that's what you need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

JINX! (or as I remember it COKES!)

I guess I had a shorter answer, but you are definitely more thorough.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Come on, George.  Share a bit of your trade secret.  I promise not to tell anyone. 🤞

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Fireball whisky!