Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding User Access for ProConnect Tax

APC2
Level 2

Does anyone have any alternatives to using ProConnect Tax? Intuit has consistently rolled out price increases annually. Now by adding a subscription-as-a-service on top of purchasing individual tax returns, our small business is losing money. It no longer makes sense to use Intuit. Has anyone tried alternative software? 

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

A lot of people have left Intuit for greener pastures and a lot of people have left those greener pastures for Intuit.  Depending on the complexity of the returns that you do Drake is economy priced so you could add that to your list of other softwares to review.

Slava Ukraini!
APC2
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
Taxprohere
Level 7

I received the Amazing changes 🎉‼️ email for ProConnect for which I have been doing about a dozen 1041s, saving a few bucks rather than include them as PPR with my ProSeries returns.  The Big News is that I can pay an extra $99 to do what again?  Oh, $99 to be able to access "ProConnect’s powerful features" such as ... printing and efiling those returns now. Thanks but no thanks.

APC2
Level 2

It can be especially irksome when Intuit nickels and dimes their customers, especially when it involves essential services like printing and e-filing. Many customers expect a certain level of appreciation and transparency from the companies they patronize, so it's understandable we feel let down by Intuit's approach. Has anyone considered looking into alternative tax preparation services that may offer more transparent pricing structures and better customer appreciation?

abctax55
Level 15

@APC2 

Intuit has consistently rolled out price increases annually.

And you should be doing the same thing in your practice.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

"alternative tax preparation services that may offer more transparent pricing structures and better customer appreciation"

Do you think there is such a thing?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

You need to stop considering Intuit as a vendor and seeing them for what they are, a customer.   They buy from IRS one of the coveted permits to access the mainframe, by agreeing to jump through all the hoops that are  established to keep out the riff-raff.  That access comes with a cost, which has to be passed along to software users.  But it also creates a franchise, which adds value because it keeps out competitors.  Franchises can demand a premium.  You're not going to find one that doesn't.  

APC2
Level 2

I think you are missing the point. They are double charging for the same service. Arguably, they are required to provide e-file because this is a requirement for most tax returns in most jurisdictions. If that cost has been part of the cost of purchasing returns, why is that cost being charged a second time? 

0 Cheers
APC2
Level 2

What other alternatives are available? 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@APC2 wrote:

If that cost has been part of the cost of purchasing returns, why is that cost being charged a second time? 

You are missing the point.  Because they can.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@APC2 wrote:

our small business is losing money.

An extra $99 a year is causing your "business" to lose money?  If your "business" is not profitable, it seems like you need to make changes to your business or it may be a "hobby".

I agree, I absolutely HATE the "subscription" method and I HATE Intuit, but if an extra $99 is causing you to "lose" money, I think you need to adjust your business practices.

There are many alternative software products to try out.  Drake, ATX, OLTPro, TaxActProfessional, TaxSlayer are among the more common and lower cost products.  But don't mistake "lower cost" as "better for your business". If a software cost less money but takes more time and/or has more problems/errors, it could end up REDUCING your business profit due to more time (for example, being able to prepare fewer returns due to more time to enter things or deal with problems).